Friday, December 2, 2011

Peekaboo Frames Advent

      As soon as I saw the project on page 36 of the Holiday Mini catalog, I knew I had to make one…uh…four!  You see, Jesse (my oldest) and his grandmother (my mom) started this tradition years ago.  I think Jess was about 4 when it began.  Each has his/her own advent calendar and, starting on December 1st, each will begin the count down to Christmas by lifting one window each day.  The boys will call their grandmother and each will tell what picture is revealed.  It has become a ‘game’ to see if they get the same picture.  My parents live hundreds of miles away and we don’t get to see each other often enough.  It’s been a great way for the boys to keep in touch and they ALL look forward to the morning reveal and phone call!  Especially my mom! 

 

100_3983     The advents turned out even more beautiful than I had imagined!  They went together quite easily too.  It was just as easy to do four at once as it would have been to do just one.  I pretty much cased the project in the mini catalog.  However, I don’t have all the supplies they used and I wanted ALL my windows to lift.  The Peekaboo Frames die is awesome for this!  I used the new 25 & Counting stamp set on the outside of the windows and the Jolly Bingo Bits are on the inside waiting to be revealed.  I used several other punches and lots of little embellishments for details.  I used some of the Frostwood Lodge DSP and coordinating card stocks.  My Big Shot got tons of use with this project!  I found the 12” x 12” frames at my local craft store and put the glass behind the advent.  Love, love, love it!  And lots of love went into the making of each one of these advents! 

 

100_4005     The boys each wanted their calendar arranged so that they would have to search for the next number.  Turns out, I could do that! :)  Such a great feeling to be able to make it yourself…and the end result is heart-warming satisfaction!!  Love that I can contribute to this fun family tradition!

     This year, we included my sister who lives in yet another state.  However, the boys will have to call her after school as she is two hours behind us.  I don’t think she will want a daily 5AM phone call…I know I wouldn’t :)

     Grandma loved her advent!  We surprised her with it and she received it a couple of days ago.  Auntie hasn’t received hers yet.  It is due to arrive later today.  I’m sure she will love it too! 

     Thanks for stopping in today.  I hope you’ve been inspired to start new family traditions…or simply keep the old ones alive :)  I hope everyone has a wonderful Christmas season!

Hugs,

Leslee

All Stampin’ Up! supplies can be purchased here

No comments:

Post a Comment