Friday, January 14, 2011

Snowflake Candle Holders

     I love making handmade gifts for every occasion.  Go figure…I’m in the right business, aren’t I?  I can’t take credit for these lovely snowflake tea light candle holders but I can’t remember just where I had seen them. 

     Here’s how I made them…

     Using the Big Shot and the Snowflake #2 die, I cranked out two flakes in, of all materials, roof 100_2280flashing.  The flashing material is aluminum.  I’m not sure the gauge but it is just a smidge thicker than a soda can.  Thus, it holds it’s shape very nicely.  It isn’t as sharp edged as the soda cans either.  Although, I would recommend being extremely careful when using anything aluminum.  The Craft & Rubber scissors cut through this aluminum with ease.  Cutting smaller pieces off the large roll makes it so much easier to work with.  I 100_2281punched a hole in the snowflake center with my Crop-a-dile (again…very easy to punch through).  I placed the flakes on top one another and secured the center with a brad of choice.  Next, I pulled one point from the bottom flake up through the top flake.  The next bottom point was pulled down to create the holder’s “legs”.  The next point came up through and the next pulled down.  You get the idea…repeat until all points on the bottom flake are either up or down.  The top flake remains flat.  I simply shaped the points around a tea light candle and the holder is complete. 

Here’s a side and top view of the completed holder…

  100_2288  100_2285 

     I finished off the top of the tea light candles with a stamped snowflake (Season of Joy set) in Cherry Cobbler on tissue paper.  Lay the tissue paper on the candle and use the heat gun to melt it into the wax.  This was the first time I have ever done this technique…way cool!  My boys even thought it was “cool”!  This is the finished set that I made for my sister.  It turned out really beautiful!  I made a set in blue for my mom and my sister-in-law too.  Super easy gift idea!  Took very little time and hardly any effort (just don’t tell anyone).

100_2340

     Thank you to whomever’s blog I cased this idea from.  Sure wish I could remember so as to give proper credit.  I hope you enjoyed and could draw some inspiration from this project too.

Hugs,

Leslee

All Stampin’ Up! supplies used can be purchased HERE.  Tea lights and roof flashing purchased elsewhere :)

No comments:

Post a Comment